At Hourglass we have over 20 years’ combined experience of recruiting overseas teachers. As a result, we have amassed a wealth of knowledge and expertise about international relocation routes.
Hourglass has a wealth of experience recruiting overseas teachers. This was evident by the way in which they explained and answered all my questions and concerns, sometimes even before I asked them
Any teacher who is not a British National wishing to work in England will require a visa. To gain entry for work in the UK, the majority of our candidates qualify for one of these three main visa categories:
- Tier 5 – Youth Mobility
- UK Ancestry visa
- Skilled Worker visa
If you're married to a British citizen, but not a British passport holder yourself, you may be eligible for a “joining a settled person” visa.
You can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa if you:
- want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
- are aged 18 to 30
- have £1,890 in savings
- have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries
- meet the other eligibility requirements
Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme checklist
- Register your interest with Hourglass
- Update and submit your resumé
- Start getting your paperwork in order – you will need:
- Valid passport
- Visa application – leading to your entitlement to work
- Teaching certificate
- Teaching body membership information
- Contact details for two referees
- Police checks
Why choose Hourglass?
We have helped literally hundreds of overseas teachers make the move to the UK.
We completely understand the challenges you face. We know that even the most adventurous travellers might find a long term move a bit daunting.
We’re constantly improving our overseas recruitment and relocation processes, but from the start, you can rely on:
- Your own, named Hourglass consultant responsible for your application
- Make interviewing as simple as possible before you even book your plane ticket! We can offer the latest video technology. Make your mark with UK headteachers despite the distance.
- Online resources designed for overseas candidates
- Step by step support through the visa application from our specialist relocation team
- Detailed help with moving overseas – from a view on accommodation, bank accounts, mobile phones, to our recommended packing list!
- Named teaching mentor at host school
Because we’re a small team with years of international experience, we’re confident that we can handle most issues. We’re happy to get stuck in, and have helped out with networking events and introducing like-minded individuals who would benefit from house-sharing arrangements. We will always use our local knowledge and contacts to make your transition as seamless as possible.
If you are an overseas teacher, we’d like to hear from you!
You can upload a copy of your CV here, or through the contact page. One of our consultants will follow up by phone and introduce themselves and explain how we can help you to secure your ideal teaching position in the UK.
Your consultant will ask you some essential vetting questions – this is important because we want to understand your circumstances and where you would best fit within our client schools.